10 Tips for Self-Care
By: Renee Concepcion LISW-S, LICDC-CS
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life it’s challenging to find the time to take care of our own self. We dedicate a lot of time to others whether it’s to our children, our spouse, our family, or our work. Often times we leave ourselves last on the list and never get a chance to treat ourselves as well as we treat others. Its time to change that!
The idea of self-care can be vague, that’s where I actually find the beauty in it because it can mean whatever you’d like it to mean for you. Below are 10 tips on how you can take care of yourself on a daily basis and still maintain your commitments that are outside of you.
- Wake up every morning and before you jump out of bed take 5 deep breaths in and out and say one thing to yourself that you’re grateful for.
- Show your body kindness everyday. Eat well and exercise.
- Maintain any boundaries that you have. There important so stick by them.
- Contact one person a day that provides you happiness in your life. Whether it’s a phone call, email, or hand written note- reach out to them.
- Understand your emotions and don’t ignore them. If your feeling something address it, we have emotions for a reason and that’s to feel them deeply.
- Practice self-compassion. Forgive yourself as much as you might forgive others.
- Practice mindfulness. Don’t let the day go by in a blur. Be truly present during your day and appreciate all that goes on.
- Invest in yourself. Join a book club, take a music lesson, go back to school- whatever it is that you fantasize about doing go ahead and take some steps to accomplish that.
- Try journaling, as it’s a great way to give you a “time out” to reflect on yourself. Just 10 minutes before bed can rejuvenate you and give you perspective you’ve never had before.